Top divers join perilous mission to recover Italian tourists’ remains from Maldives sea cave
Maldivian Rescue Efforts Intensify as Divers Seek to Retrieve Italian Tourists’ Bodies from Deep Cave
Top divers join perilous mission to recover – Maldives has welcomed a contingent of international cave divers to bolster the search for the remains of four Italians who perished during a scuba diving expedition in the island nation. The mission, now in its second week, has grown more complex after a military diver lost his life while attempting to recover the bodies. This development has underscored the risks inherent in the operation, as authorities race to locate the final four victims trapped within the depths of a perilous sea cave.
Global Experts Mobilize for Challenging Recovery Task
Three Finnish cave divers, affiliated with the Divers Alert Network—a worldwide organization dedicated to scuba safety—arrived in Maldives on Sunday. According to the country’s chief government spokesperson, Mohamed Hussain Shareef, these divers were specifically recommended by Italy for their expertise in deep and cave diving. “They have experience navigating underwater environments across the globe,” Shareef stated, highlighting the team’s qualifications. A fourth specialist is anticipated to join the group on Sunday, along with advanced equipment from Australia and the United Kingdom, to enhance the recovery operation’s chances of success.
“They were recommended by Italy and have completed deep dives and cave dives around the world,” Shareef told CNN.
The search began after five Italian divers died while exploring the Vaavu Atoll on Thursday. The incident involved a group of 25 Italian nationals, including the four who are still missing, who were aboard the Duke of York, a vessel used for diving excursions. The mission’s complexity was immediately evident, as the cave’s depth and structure posed significant challenges. Shareef confirmed that the body of Gianluca Benedetti, a diving instructor, was discovered at the cave’s entrance, suggesting the remaining four victims may still be inside.
Perilous Dive Conditions and Human Cost
Sgt. Mohamed Mahudhee, a senior military diver, became the second fatality in the operation after succumbing to complications during a second recovery attempt. He was 43 years old and had been following established protocols, diving in pairs and returning to the surface when his partner detected an issue. The team then intervened to rescue him, but he did not survive. Shareef noted that Mahudhee’s death highlights the extreme nature of the dive, with conditions that test even the most seasoned professionals.
“He was one of the most senior divers, which shows just how challenging this dive is,” Shareef said.
Mahudhee was honored with a military funeral in Malé, attended by thousands, including President Mohamed Muizzu, tourism officials, military personnel, and foreign ambassadors. The ceremony paid tribute to his dedication and skill, which were critical in the ongoing mission. Shareef emphasized the rigorous safety measures in place, stating that the Maldives’ ocean territory spans approximately 3,000 times the size of its landmass, requiring specialized expertise to navigate.
Technical Hurdles in the Deep Blue
The cave’s dimensions—70 meters deep and 200 meters long—present a daunting environment for divers. Each rescue operation is constrained to about three hours due to oxygen and decompression limits, making the task even more urgent. During Saturday’s attempt, divers employed a technique of marking the entrance with a balloon to guide their way, allowing the team to focus their efforts on retrieving the bodies.
Despite these strategies, the conditions remain unforgiving. Strong, unpredictable currents, narrow tunnels leading into expansive chambers, and complete darkness create a labyrinthine challenge. Shareef described the environment as “extremely difficult,” requiring divers to possess not only technical skill but also unwavering composure. “You have to be an expert for this level of diving,” he added, underscoring the necessity of advanced training.
Unraveling the Mystery of the Incident
The investigation into the tragedy continues, with officials seeking to determine the precise cause of the divers’ demise. While the exact sequence of events remains unclear, experts suggest that the cave’s depth and silt accumulation are major obstacles. John Volanthen, a British Cave Rescue Council officer who played a pivotal role in the 2018 Thai soccer team rescue, provided insight into the challenges faced. “It’s unquestionably hampering recovery efforts,” he said, noting that the cave’s length and darkness could disorient even experienced divers.
“It’s essentially a very long way into the cave and normally, cave divers would lay a guideline to find their way into the cave. And that’s potentially what happened with the missing party,” he told CNN.
Volanthen also highlighted the risk of panic, which can escalate on deeper dives due to narcosis—a condition caused by breathing compressed air that impairs judgment. This phenomenon may have contributed to the difficulties encountered during the operation. The presence of silt in the cave, combined with limited visibility, further complicates the search, obscuring the path and making precise navigation a high-stakes endeavor.
Family Reflections on the Loss
Carlo Sommacal, the husband of Monica Montefalcone and father of Giorgia Sommacal, expressed his uncertainty about the cause of the accident. He described his wife and daughter as experienced divers, emphasizing that their skills should have mitigated the risks. “Something must have happened down there,” he said, reflecting on the tragedy. Sommacal shared a personal anecdote about his wife’s resilience, recalling her survival during the 2004 tsunami while diving near Kenya. “She told me at times, ‘This one I can do, you can’t,’” he recounted, underscoring her confidence and discipline.
The remains of Federico Gualtieri, a marine biologist, and Muriel Oddenino, a researcher, are believed to be within the cave, though their exact location has yet to be confirmed. The team’s efforts are now focused on developing a new plan to locate and extract the bodies, with the support of global experts and cutting-edge equipment. Shareef praised the international collaboration, stating that the mission exemplifies the unity required to tackle such a high-risk recovery.
Global Implications of the Maldivian Crisis
As the search continues, the incident has drawn attention to the Maldives’ role as a premier diving destination. The country’s reliance on tourism means that such tragedies can have a profound impact on its reputation. Shareef acknowledged the risks involved, noting that the cave’s depths and currents create a dynamic threat for divers. “The ocean here is both a wonder and a challenge,” he remarked, reflecting on the delicate balance between adventure and danger.
Authorities are also reviewing the protocols followed during the dive, including decompression procedures that are vital for survival. Mahudhee’s death, which occurred during the decompression phase, has raised questions about the effectiveness of current safety measures. The incident serves as a reminder of the unpredictable nature of underwater environments, where even the most meticulous planning can be undone by sudden shifts in conditions.
As the world watches, the Maldivian team remains determined to complete the mission. The recovery of the four Italians is not only a matter of technical precision but also a testament to the courage of those involved. With international support and advanced technology, the divers are pushing the boundaries of exploration, even as they face the daunting task of retrieving the bodies from the depths where four lives were lost.
